Sunday, June 1

A Tale Of Two Cities

This week I conquered my very own literary Mt. Everest. (Yes Laura - I finally did it and it was painless!) I read A Tale of Two Cities. I know, I know, it's not even nearly the longest, most boring book in the world. But for some reason it was so hard for me to get into; I had read the first 30 or so pages of this book about 4 or 5 times, half asleep. I began the book one last, determined time, barrelled through it, and by page 100 or so I was hooked and loved pretty much every minute beyond that point.

Reading the book made me feel so conflicted because on the one hand you just feel miserable for the poverty and abuse and misery that the people lived through. But when the Revolution barrels on, and they become so ruthless and desensitized to the things that they are doing to not only the people who oppressed them, but poor, innocent people too - you lose that sense of sympathy. I think that there has to be a point where you take accountability for the horrible things that are done in, even in desperate, low times like those.

Anyway, I highly recommend the book. Just stick with it if it bores you to death at the beginning. You'll get into it and (hopefully) be glad you did!

2 comments:

Laura said...

I am be so proud! May I should try again. I hope that I didn't get rid of the book in our move!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Mel, and it only took you 1 week!!!

well thank goodness for that revolution! We owe alot to General Washington and all the rest.